分享: 轉寄此文章 Facebook Plurk Twitter 複製連結到剪貼簿 轉換為繁體 轉換為簡體 載入圖片
推文 x0
[轉貼資訊] SUZUKI M109R重型機車 ﹝機車﹞

圖 1.

圖 2.

圖 3.

圖 4.

SUZUKI M109R重型機車
Swinging open the heavy wooden doors, he stepped out of the cool night and into the Driskill Hotel, in the hospitality business since 1886. The smooth tile floor of the lobby echoed to the sound of the cowboy's polished boots. Stetson worn proud, belt buckle shining, he walked with a laconic gait toward the staircase, glancing over and nodding with slow deliberation as he passed. I sat making notes in the comfortably worn couch, still dressed in my leather jacket and boots from a day in the saddle, and I acknowledged his gesture as he walked by. No words were needed; just the mutual understanding that exists between two strangers who live for the same freedom, be it on four legs or two wheels.

Choosing the vast, open Hill Country outside of Austin, Texas, to launch its new power cruiser, the M109R, Suzuki chose the perfect location for more than one reason. As a part of the county where the open roads seem to go on forever, the scenery is rugged without being distractingly stunning, as well as being home to ex-500cc World Champion Kevin Schwantz. As Suzuki's chosen son, Kevin would lead a dozen journalists for a ride that would go west to the one-horse town of Luckenbach before circling around back to his place for a Texas cookout.

In the same style as all press launches, we were introduced to the new machine before our ride, and for me it was the first time I had seen the newest Boulevard in person. Kicked back on the sidestand in the meeting room, the M109R has a striking presence, with its long, low, solid appearance. It is also very wide, and with its butch inverted front fork, massive 240-section rear tire and swooping bodywork, there is no doubt Suzuki has come up with their own unique version of what a power cruiser should be.

Taking the stage, Suzuki's PR Manager Glen Hanson quickly lets us know how thrilled he and everyone at Suzuki are with the new M109R. Certain press launches seem to have more buzz about them than others, and with the new bike being just that - a new bike, not a warmed-over existing product - the enthusiasm for it really showed.

Suzuki wanted to build the most powerful cruiser, and the message was very clear on who the bike would be aimed at. With models in their extensive range already that cater to the dedicated touring guys, they wanted a machine that would tickle the taste buds of experienced riders, and not just riders from the cruiser world. As a company that is so heavily linked to racing and high performance, Suzuki decided to use some of their own championship-winning road racing technology to also attract the experienced sportbike rider looking for a different experience: Mature riders who aren't willing to sacrifice performance or compromise too heavily in the handling and braking department.

Watching a video of the bike in action during the briefing, I found it interesting to note it was edited to soft rock and roll, and featured a mature rider bend swinging at a responsible speed out in the countryside. There was no flashing and banging or ADD induced video cuts, just a relaxed mini-movie showing the M109R in what Suzuki must consider its natural habitat.

Next day, rolling along the near deserted roads outside of Luckenbach at a swift but not outrageous pace, the video made perfect sense. The M109R is a big bike and doesn't like to be hustled. Weighing close to 700 pounds dry, it is not a city commuter. But, with 3200 rpm up on the digital tachometer, 70 mph registering on the analogue speedometer, and an endless horizon to be reeled in with the super-light throttle, I was out making my own movie. With the soundtrack being provided by the largest pair of pistons every made for a production engine firing through a deep, mellow sounding two-into-two exhaust system, it was the perfect score. Set on a stage of barren, rolling hills, peppered with Ashe Juniper bushes and tightly packed Texas Red Oaks, the wild scene was capped by a perfect, cloudless blue sky.

At 1783cc, the new engine is not the largest, but Suzuki is claiming it to be the most powerful V-Twin in the world. Producing a claimed 127 horsepower at 6200 rpm and 118 lb-ft of torque at 3200 rpm, it has got the Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 and the new Yamaha Roadliner beat by a few, that's for sure. It just doesn't out-torque the Vulcan, although not much does. With the simply massive 112mm pistons blasting up and down their individual 90.5mm strokes, the engine will rev till to 7400 rpm before the limiter shuts things down. Maximum power is quoted at 6200 rpm, but the bike still keeps pulling solidly till 7000 rpm if you need.

During our test I heard one journalist from a well-known glossy publication complaining about the bike's bland power delivery, and have to disagree. The compact engine is the jewel in the M109R's crown, and our esteemed scribe to me is mistaking smooth for bland. Producing power anywhere in the range, there is never a second's hesitation when you twist the throttle, and the bike pulls from just a few rpm off idle with absolute authority all the way to redline.

If you crack open the throttle hard with the big pistons thumping at four grand there is a more feral growl, and you feel a deep, mellow vibration in your gut as you hurtle forward at an extremely rapid pace. Then, rolling off from higher rpm as you shift down through the gears gives the most wonderful sound from the pipes as the engine slows rapidly. Great stuff.

Talking with engine engineer Yutaki Nitta, the pulsation I felt from the engine is a deliberate move to give the M109R character, and after three years developing the new engine, Mr. Nitta had the broadest smile on his face as I extolled the virtues of his baby to him later in the day.

獻花 x0 回到頂端 [樓 主] From:歐洲 | Posted:2006-09-29 16:28 |

首頁  發表文章 發表投票 回覆文章